Your top 6 questions answered

Our office is receiving a number of application-related questions so this post will address the top six commonly asked questions.

1.) Can I check the status of my application online?

Answer: Yes! You may check your application status via webCentral. Your DU/User ID is 87XXXXXXX and initial passcode is your birthdate in MMDDYY format. You will need to change your passcode upon login. After logging in to webCentral, click on myWeb > Banner Self-Service > Student and Financial Aid > Admissions. Then, select the processed application..

Please keep in mind that upon receipt of your documents, the processing time to upload it to your record is approximately 1-3 business days. If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Office of Graduate Studies my calling 303.871.2831 or emailing

2.) Do I need to submit an writing sample for the MA program?

Answer: No, we do not require an writing sample for the MA program, but do require one for the PhD program.

3.) What’s the difference between the Office of Graduate Admissions and the Office of Graduate Studies?


Office of Graduate Admissions

The Josef Korbel School Office of Graduate Admissions meets with you at recruitment events (remember us, we gave you the free chapstick), set up campus visits, answer your programmatic and admission questions, review your application, send admission decision letters and provide as much information as possible about our school so you can make an informed graduate school decision.

Office of Graduate Studies

These are the friendly folks who process your applications- saving us from paper cuts, date stampers and scanners. They are located in the building next to us (Mary Reed Building), manage the online application system and send emails about your application status. If you have any questions about the receipt of your documents, the fastest way to get an answer is to email ( or call (303.871.2831) them.

4.) Does my university’s registrar’s office need to send my transcripts directly to the University of Denver or can they send them to me?

Answer: Either submission method is aok. If the transcripts are sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, they will arrive a few days faster. However, if you are ordering a multiple transcripts and want to send one copy to us, that’s perfectly fine. Just don’t open the official envelope!

5.) Do you offer application fee waivers?

Answer: No, we do not offer application fee waivers. The $65 is an Office of Graduate Studies’ administrative fee for processing applications.

6.) Can I talk to a current graduate student?

Answer: Most definitely! In fact, if you’ve recently inquired or started an application, a student will likely contact you over the next few weeks. They will candidly share their experiences with you and can answer most if not all of your questions. If you want to chat with a student, feel free to email and we will set you up with one of our student ambassadors.

Additional How to Apply FAQs

Financial Assistance FAQs

Feel free to contact our office if you have any additional questions.  Have a great weekend y’all!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s