Deferring Admission

I’ve received several emails about deferring your admission to a future term so I would like to take a minute to discuss the process. First, a few definitions since we allow two types of deferrals:

1. Reverse Deferral: Enrolling during the summer quarter even if you were admitted to the fall quarter. With a reverse deferral, you would actually be enrolling early.  Some students opt to do this because they want to get an early start on their Korbel degree so instead of starting in September, they begin classes in June.  The downside of this is that scholarship money does not apply to the summer quarter and since the summer quarter is considered to be part of the previous year’s financial aid term, you would need to complete the 2011-12 FAFSA, even if you just completed the 2012-13 FAFSA.  Also, instead of taking 10 weeks classes, you would most likely be looking at a 2-4 week class–which is incredibly intense. We do not charge the $200 deferral fee (see below) for the reverse deferral.

2. Future Deferral: Some students have some great opportunities pop up after they receive our admission letter. I’ve heard of some who received job or internship offers, I’ve heard of some who learned they are pregnant. Other’s have less pleasant factors pop up such as illnesses or external factors that prevent them from enrolling when they planned.  Be it an opportunity or a challenge, we want to work with you, so we allow students to defer their admission for up to 1 academic year. This means we will save an admission spot for you up to the fall of 2013.  To defer your admission, there are a few things you need to do before the deadline by which you need to respond to your offer of admission (April 20th for students with a scholarship, May 7th for students without a scholarship):

1. $500 tuition deposit plus a separate $200 deferral fee. Both payments are non-refundable. The tuition deposit can be paid online with a credit card, directly from your checking or savings account or submitting a check or money order. The deferral fee must be paid with a separate check or money order sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Checks can be made out to the University of Denver.

2. A written statement outlining the reasons for requesting a deferral, which must also include the following statement:

“I understand that these payments are non-refundable if I fail to enroll in the term agreed upon. Regardless of the reason for not enrolling, both my deposit and my offer of admission will be forfeited.”

Deferrals can be requested for up to one academic year (winter 2013, spring 2013, fall 2013). If your deferral is granted (and most of them tend to be), you are expected to enroll in the quarter specified on your Deferral Request Form.
Scholarships for the Josef Korbel School of International Studies will not transfer to the term of deferred admission.

Please let us know if you have any questions about the deferral process or if you are interested in requesting one.

Brad Miller

Director of Graduate Admissions


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s